Sugar And Spice - Dressing Up Little Girls

I admit it - I am a total sucker for sugar and spice baby girl clothes. Give me lace and roses, hand-crocheted pinafores, add hand-smocked bodices and I'm in paradise. I have raised two little girls and had a hand in half a dozen nieces, and I'm here to warn you, ladies. If you love dressing up your little girl in ribbons and lace, indulge yourself as much as possible when she's a baby - because it won't be long before she's choosing her own clothes. And honestly, the frilly styles I love just do not suit the average active toddler. So -- get it out of your system when she is a baby - and take lots and lots of pictures.

Just for mothers like me, here are five classic looks for smartly dressed baby girls that will make sure that your little angel won't ever be mistaken for a boy - till she starts dressing herself, at least. You may even visit Oobi baby and girl's clothes online in Australia in https://www.oobi.com.au/ to view more clothes that will fit your baby wants.

Hand-Smocked Polly Flinders Dresses

There is nothing in this universe that states 'little girl' quite like a hand-smocked Polly Flinders dress. I was lucky enough when my youngest was an infant to discover an entire box full of vintage 1950s Polly Flinders dresses, and purchase them for a buck apiece. If you are not familiar with hand-smocked clothing or Polly Flinders, let me give you a good idea of what a deal this is: a search for Polly Flinders dresses that this morning turned up a couple dozen dresses, including several classic dresses from the 50s and 60s. The prices ranged from $45 to $175.

The Sailor Suit

What do you get when you blend red satin ribbons, navy blue pin-dotsand a white embroidered collar? Add a pint-size sailor's cap adorned with a satin ribbon and you've got one of the most popular small girl baby dresses ever made - a very feminine twist on a tiny boy's sailor suit. It was among those basic styles of the 1940s, and never goes out of style.

Ruffled Pinafores

It's a classic Alice in Wonderland little girl fairly - a gingham checked dress with puffed shoulders and a ruffled hem peeking out from beneath a starched pinafore. Pinafores started out as 'aprons' to help save the fancy dress beneath, but soon took on a style of their own. They slip on in the front, and tie or button in the trunk, and are supposed to be worn over an under dress. Ruffled hems and shoulders and dainty embroidery are just a couple of the things that make this classic baby clothing fashion unique.

Ruffled Panties

Very little in this life is more adorable than rows of ruffled lace peeking out from beneath the hem of a smocked baby dress. Ruffle-bottomed diaper covers and elaborate small embroidered bottoms that are meant to peek out under a dress are another of those classic infant girl looks that never era.

Velvet and Taffeta Roses

What's the well-dressed baby girl wear on Christmas? Taffeta and velvet, with lace and roses in the waist of course. Be conventional with a red velvet bodice and ruffled plaid taffeta skirt, complete with a tiny satin rose in the lace-trimmed collar - or allow your bolder side out and groom your little darling in black velvet and pink satin. My own favorite of all time was a pearl grey velvet dress with a white taffeta skirt accented with a full sized lace bow in baby-soft pink.